My Blog List

Thursday 10 October 2013

Playlist Thursday - Second Verse, Same as the First




Hey kids!

Here's a little trick to sequencing that no one tells you in teacher training:

Yoga teachers recycle!

If I didn't have some fall-back lesson plans to work with, I'd spend my entire life sequencing. It's not to say that I don't love throwing new stuff in the repertoire. If I had my way, I'd spend 90% of life learning new yoga from teachers, videos, articles, etc. I love to live and breathe yoga. Unfortunately, meals and sleep and family intervene and I'm often left with less prep time for class than I would like.

The same goes for playlists. I have some fall-backs that I like to use. Certain songs that I mix up and throw together when I need a soundtrack for class and I don't have time to prep one.

The following is a mix of some of my favourite stand-by yoga jams. You'll notice some repeats and that's cool. I know that as a yoga student, it's as comforting to hear familiar songs as it is exciting to hear new ones.

Here we go again:

* When I'm With You: Alias (Acoustic Live Version)

* Love on Top: Beyonce (What's a yoga class without Beyonce?)

* Into the Mystic: Colin James (There are many versions of this song that I'm totally in love with, but this is by far my favourite)

* Crash Into Me: Dave Matthews Band

* Hysteria: Def Leppard

* Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters: Elton John

* Levon: Elton John

Note: I don't normally put two songs by one artist back-to-back unless I feel like the songs somehow "go together"

* On Top of the World: Imagine Dragons

* Have a Little Faith in Me: Jewel (Because what's a yoga class without a song that makes the teacher cry?)

* Danny's Song: Kenny Loggins (go ahead and hate, Kenny Loggins haters.)

* Wildflowers: Tom Petty

* Ain't That a Kick in the Head: Dean Martin

* So Much Magnificence: Deva Premal and Miten (While I was doing my yoga teacher training, I always promised myself I would play this song for my first Savasana. I kept the promise to myself and have used it for many Savasanas since)

There are some spares on this list as well. They're interchangeable with the above songs and I pick and choose depending on my mood:

* Hot Child in the City: Nick Gilder (pre-google, Lins and I were convinced this was sung by a woman)

* More Than This: Roxy Music (my favourite song of all-time because of this scene)

* Cry to Me: Otis Redding (for me, there is always Otis)

* Sun Light: MC Yogi

* Vienna: Billy Joel

* Anything Could Happen: Ellie Goulding


I wish you many happy hours spent listening to mixed tapes,

Er

No comments:

Post a Comment