My Blog List

Wednesday 26 June 2013

Home Sweet...Everything...

“Home is the nicest word there is.”
Laura Ingalls Wilder


I am completely hooked on home right now. (I've always been kind of a homebody, but it's really on steroids these days). There's nowhere else on Earth I can imagine feeling more peaceful than I do when I'm at home these days. There's nowhere I'd rather be.



This house has been witness to so many of my stories. Indeed, I haven't lived in a place as long as this since I left my parents house, three months after my eighteenth birthday. (Admittedly, I have gone back a few times for varying length - the longest of which was December to August when I was nineteen). **


But I digress. We're talking about my home now. Where I've been divorced and dumped and ditched (and done a little bit of ditching myself). I've cried and learned more lessons than I care to share at the moment.

Some things I've learned while living in my house:

- If you have carpet in your kitchen, your child will vomit orange soda and hot dogs on said carpet (even if that's not what you fed her).

-If you install new carpets two weeks prior to getting a new puppy, you are crazy (no one would do this except me, right?!)

-A good housekeeper is worth her weight in gold and then some.


In spite of its rich history, our home is my only real craving these days (red velvet cupcakes notwithstanding). Perhaps because we've been so busy. All three of us going in different directions. Perhaps it's because my daughter and I are leaving for Europe in ten days and won't see my fiance (or the dog!!) for two whole weeks. I know. No one feels sorry for me.

It could also be because home is WONDERFUL.

Wanna know one of my favourite things about home right now (there are many)?!

I LIVE WITH ANOTHER WRITER!!

Top Three Awesomest Things about Living with Another Writer:

1. Shame. When your partner is writing and you are not, you feel like you should be. This shame is mutually beneficial and highly motivational.

2. Inspiration. My partner is a completely brilliant song writer which is not the way my brain works at all. I am in constant awe of his passion and dedication to his talent.

3. Understanding. I am not doing the dishes right now because I am writing. My love understands. In fact, he routinely picks up after me without complaint. I'm a lucky little chicken.

I often have to remind myself to live in this moment, particularly with end-of-school craziness and no sign of life slowing down in the foreseeable future.

I have to make myself take the time to sit down on our porch swing (get used to hearing about it) even though it's not that nice out. It's important to feel the wet grass on my toes and the wind blowing my hair into my lip gloss because life does speed by.

So. What's so great about home?

- My heinous sweatpants (my fiance calls them my Give Up Pants)

- The garden!! (I planted kale! And fennel! My dad called me a hippie for the fennel but it's worth it)

- The aforementioned porch swing

- The 100 year old lilac hedge

- The people who live with me. Including fur people.


Was there ever a better time for a John Denver break? I think not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJUnnnXg_oY


Are you in love with home?

What does "home" mean to you?

Be it ever so humble,

Er

**Note I have to be very precise with certain details because my parents routinely scan this blog for historical accuracy. Unless you are in my immediate family, nothing about this detail is interesting or relevant.

1 comment: