My Blog List

Thursday 19 September 2013

Playlist Thursdays!

I'm super psyched for a new feature here on the Be a Tree blog!

 

Playlist Thursdays!

"Now, the making of a good compilation tape is a very subtle art. Many do's and don'ts. First of all you're using someone else's poetry to express how you feel. This is a delicate thing" - High Fidelity


I don't mean to brag, but I'm kind of a master at playlists. When I teach my yoga classes, I'm often asked to share my songs with people and I'm totally happy to share them with you all here.

I tend to be a bit unorthodox in terms of yoga playlists - keeping in mind that by being myself I ensure that I'm not everybody's teacher and neither am I everybody's dj. I am madly in love with devotional music of every genre, but I don't necessarily believe that a yoga class requires only Sanskrit music in order to move people. I'm most moved when the music speaks to my history, makes me feel nostalgic and connects me back to my self.

With that in mind, I've decided to share my yoga music with you for your home practice or just to groove out to. Every Thursday. Pinkie Swear!

A few words on building yoga class soundtracks:

- I like to play chilled out Indian tunes, quiet kirtan (call and answer) or nature sounds for when people are gathering on their mats at the start of class
- I always start out slow. No one wants to be blasted during their warm-up
- I like to slow it right down for Savasana. Yoga Nap = quiet time

Namaste, babies!

Enjoy,

Er


Last Thursday's Jam


Africa Must Wake up - Distant Relatives (hip-hop supergroup comprised of Nas, Damian "Jr Gong" Marley and K'naan)

Rosanna - Toto

The Great Divide - The Mowgli's (this comes up a lot because I am obsessed with it's catchy brightness)

Domino - Van Morrison (loves me some Van)

Some Nights - Fun. (this is Sierra's fave song right now)

Mandolin Wind - Rod Stewart

Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis (I heard this in a bar in Dublin and rekindled my junior high love affair with Oasis)

Caravan - Van Morrison again. (I like the version from The Last Waltz best)

Ganesh is Fresh - MC Yogi (what's a yoga class without a little Deity)

Elenore - The Turtles

Bright Side of the Road - Van Morrison (this is the happiest song in the Universe)

Motherless Child - Eric Clapton

Songbird - Fleetwood Mac (makes me weepy, but the students are usually on their backs by this point)

Jane Says - Jane's Addiction (this song was a little bit out-of-place. If I used it again, I'd move it up a bit)

A Case of You - Joni Mitchell


 

**Head's up!! I'm moving this blog to a new home in the not-so-distant-future. Stay tuned!***

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, this makes me so happy! The funniest song you have had on a playlist is 'Never Surrender'. I was like 'yeah, my thoughts exactly'....mid pigeon pose!

    ReplyDelete